Prevent pregnancy with a variety of non-hormonal contraception available at Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic
At Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic, we offer access to a range of different non-hormonal contraceptive options. With safe and effective non-hormonal contraception, there is an increased ability to prevent unwanted pregnancies using birth control methods that form a barrier between the sperm and the egg. Although they provide better protection against pregnancy than methods such as the Rhythm method, barrier birth control options are in general not as effective as long term methods that use hormones. However, when used consistently and in the correct way, their effectiveness can be compared to the pill.
The Non-Hormonal Methods We Offer:
- This method is 98% effective and is available in a range of different colors, sizes, styles, textures, and materials.
- Each session of intercourse requires a new condom which must be put on while the penis is erect.
- This may result in a slight interruption prior to sex.
- The male condom is the only contraceptive method that can protect against STDs.
Kindly ask our friendly staff for FREE male condom samples.
- The female condom is 95% effective and there is only one model currently on the market.
- During each session of intercourse, a new condom must be used.
- The female condom can be placed into the vagina at lease 8 hours prior to sex.
- This type of condom can also protect against STDs unless it slips out of place or becomes torn.
Kindly ask our friendly staff for FREE female condom samples.
- When used with one of the barrier methods, the effectiveness of spermicides increases.
- However, on their own, they are 82% effective.
- There are many different types to choose from, which include creams, jellies, foams, and vaginal suppositories.
- Spermicides need to be used each time you have sex and must be inserted at least one hour before sex.
- According to the FDA, Nonoxynol 9 can cause irritation in the rectum and vagina, which can increase the risk of contracting HIV or AIDS from a partner that is infected.
- When used correctly, a diaphragm is 94% effective and there are many different sizes available.
- They must be inserted during each instance of intercourse and each time fresh spermicide must be applied. The diaphragm can be placed up to 6 hours prior to sex. \
- Diaphragms do not offer protection against HIV / AIDS and you must be fitted for one.
- They can provide a mild reduction in the risk of certain STDs.
- A cervical cap is 74% effective when used by women who have previously given birth and is up to 91% effective when used by women who have not had a child.
- There are many different sizes available to choose from, and the cervical cap must be used every time you have sex. In addition, spermicides need to be applied each time it is inserted.
- The cervical cap offers continuous protection for up to 48 hours.
- It is necessary to be fitted for a cervical cap. Also, they do not safeguard against Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs).
Contact Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic for non-hormonal contraception
Contact us for more information about non-hormonal contraception services near Rockville, MD, Silver Spring, MD, and Washington, DC. Give us a call at the location nearest you to schedule an appointment today.