Abortion Pill / Medical Abortion up to 10 weeks (70 days)
At Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic, we understand that you need a private and discreet setting when you are seeking abortion pill services.
The Abortion Pill also referred to as medicine abortion / medical abortion / home abortion is a non-invasive, non-surgical medication-based method for early pregnancy termination of an unplanned pregnancy.
It is an early option abortion method, which can be performed up to 10 weeks (70 days) of gestational age with success rates of 92-95%. Many studies have found that the overall satisfaction after a medical abortion is similar to that of surgical abortion despite some of the mild side effects.
At Metropolitan Family Planning Clinic, we provide a SAFE environment for our patients from Camp Springs, College Park, and Gaithersburg, Maryland and Washington, DC, and the surrounding areas.
Here you will be attended to by a caring and competent staff who will put your needs first. We will explain the safety guidelines of using the abortion pill so you are fully, informed about what to expect from your medical abortion.
Please read the following information about the Medical Abortion procedure provided at our clinic.
What you can expect
On the day of your procedure after completing a basic history form you will be called for a sonogram to verify the estimated gestational age of your pregnancy. You will next go to our laboratory where our staff will check your vital signs and draw blood to check your RH status as well as a current hemoglobin and hematocrit. Our staff will answer any questions you may have and you will be asked to sign a medical abortion patient agreement. You will than be seen by one of our Board-Certified Gynecologists who will discuss all risks, benefits, and alternatives to the medical abortion process and will dispense all medications.
The process of medical abortion requires that you return to the office for two follow-up appointments; which are included in the price of the procedure. Follow-up is necessary to ensure that the medical abortion has completely ended your pregnancy. If the medicines did not work to end your pregnancy, you must agree to have a surgical procedure (suction D&C procedure). Incomplete abortion can be associated with heavy bleeding (hemorrhage) and infections. Pregnancies that continue after the medical abortion process are associated with severe birth defects.
- You will be given 200 mg of the abortion pill to take in our office.
- 24-48 hours later you will take 4 tablets (800 mcg) at home by placing them under your tongue (sublingual) for 30 minutes.
- You will return to our clinic in 2-5 days for initial follow-up and sonogram.
- You will return to our clinic in 2 weeks for your final follow-up sonogram and contraceptive counseling.
Common Side Effects
- Cramping & Bleeding
When to call the clinic
- Heavy bleeding: soaking 1-2 pads every hour for more than 2-3 hours
- No bleeding or passage of any tissue after taking tablets
- Severe abdominal pain that persists greater than 24 hours after taking the abortion pill
- Fever of greater than 100.4°F that persists greater than 24 hours after taking the tablets
Frequently Asked Questions about the Abortion Pill / Medical Abortion
What happens if I pass tissue after taking the abortion pill?
About 5% of patients will have a complete abortion (termination and evacuation of uterus) by just taking the abortion pill. Regardless if this happens you still continue to follow the same steps and take the 4 tablets of 24-48 hours after taking the abortion pill.
When should I expect the process to be over?
About 2-6 hours after taking the 4 tablets you will experience painful cramps and bleeding that is heavier than a normal period. The amount of bleeding and pain is related to how far along you are in pregnancy.
Is there anything I can take for nausea and vomiting?
For nausea and vomiting, please remember to drink plenty of fluids and eat lightly the day before and the day you take the Misoprostol pills. Avoid spicy or fried foods, which worsen the distress. You may take over the counter medications for nausea.
What should I take for pain?
For your pain we will provide you with pain medication to be taken for severe cramps and pain. Over the counter Non-Steroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are the type of pain medication that we recommend for abdominal cramping that you will experience.
What happens if the process of Medical Abortion is unsuccessful?
Follow-up appointments are very necessary for your care. The process of medical abortion is not complete until after the sonogram at the final visit. If the process of medical abortion fails one of the physicians at our clinic will determine whether more medication can be used to complete the process of whether a surgical procedure is necessary.
There is an additional charge for a surgical procedure following a failed medical procedure.
Who is NOT a good candidate for medical abortion?
- Estimated gestational age greater than 70 days (10 weeks)
- If you are not willing to have a surgical procedure in the event of a failed medical procedure
- If you are not able to return for follow-up appointments
- If you have severe adrenal, heart, kidney or liver disease
- If you have a bleeding disorder or are on blood thinners
- If you current have an Intra Uterine Device (IUD) in place; you need to have the IUD removed prior to the procedure
- If you have a known allergic reaction to the abortion pill or the follow-up tablets
- If there is a concern for ectopic pregnancy (pregnancy outside the uterine cavity)
- If you are currently taking steroids or steroid medications
The abortion pill is a non-invasive, medication-based method for early pregnancy termination of an unplanned pregnancy.
Metropolitan Family Planning abortion clinics have been providing safe elective surgical abortions for over 30 years.
We understand how important it is for our patients to receive private, one-on-one care during this critical time,
We are a fully equipped gynecology doctor’s office that provides family planning and gynecology services.